The ‘Birmingham 2022’ Commonwealth Games is a golden opportunity not just for the West Midlands, but for the UK. With a third of the world’s population tuning in, this is a chance to show that post-EU Exit Britain is open for business, support economic recovery from COVID-19 and to provide a shop window for Britain’s economic engine.
Building upon the West Midlands Growth Company’s strong track record of delivery as the region’s investment promotion agency, additional funding has been secured to deliver a major programme to attract visitors, investors and events to the West Midlands and the UK and grow export opportunities. This will be delivered in partnership at regional and national level, with funding secured in the Spring 2020 Budget and match funding from the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA).
The Special Projects Manager will play a key role in facilitating the success of the West Midlands Growth Company during this exciting period. Working closely with the Head of Strategic Business Development, the successful candidate will take on a dynamic and influential role with a range of diverse deliverables. These will range from project managing defined components of the Inward Investment workstream of the Commonwealth Games Business and Tourism programme, through to leading on initiatives that deliver innovation and change within Growth Company’s business development functions and improve the organisation’s ability to attract and convert job-creating inward investment projects within the West Midlands region.
The role will work across the Commonwealth Games Business and Tourism programme and other ‘gearshift’ inward investment initiatives, with a notable focus on coordinating the region’s response to the UK Government’s ‘Beyond Whitehall’ programme, which seeks to relocate more than 22,000 Civil Servants to the UK regions by the end of the decade.
Main responsibilities and key activities
- Work closely with colleagues and external partners to manage an array of small projects that will help to showcase the region and convert inward investment interest in the West Midlands, as part of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Business & Tourism Programme.
- Provide programme management support to the Head of Strategic Business Development, to ensure that the Inward Investment Workstream of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Business & Tourism Programme delivers the required outputs, whilst adhering to required governance.
- Support the Head of Strategic Business Development with reviewing, refreshing and enhancing Business Development processes and capabilities, to generate a strong pipeline of inward investment interest in the region.
- Play a leading operational and stakeholder-facing role in key strategic business development initiatives, including the West Midlands response to the UK Government’s ‘Beyond Whitehall’ initiative, which seeks to relocate more than 22,000 civil service roles to UK regions during the next decade.
To succeed in this role you'll need to:
- Manage time effectively to deliver positive outcomes in projects that will frequently run concurrently.
- Think commercially to find solutions to capitalise on novel opportunities and address complex challenges as they arise.
- Apply process, discipline and structure to new and existing projects and initiatives, to ensure the delivery of positive outcomes.
- Communicate in a compelling and persuasive manner to coordinate activity across project teams, frequently comprising a combination of internal colleagues and external partners and provide the operational horsepower to drive important projects forward.
- Play an active role in maintaining and developing relationships with key regional partner organisations, including but not limited to, the West Midlands Combined Authority and its constituent local authorities, private sector commercial partners of the West Midlands Growth Company and the leading Universities within the West Midlands region.
- Cultivate relationships with the regional and national intermediary organisations that influence inward investment decisions in key focus sectors, including management consulting firms, real estate professionals & state-operated trade and investment agencies, in the UK and beyond.
- Represent the organisation professionally at meetings and events and actively work to raise the profile of the West Midlands Growth Company with it’s key shareholders and target audiences at all times.
- Work across the West Midlands region, with potential to travel nationally/internationally as required, to meet organisational objectives.
- Work with the head of Strategic Business Development and other senior staff across the Growth Company as required to add agile and skilled resource to project delivery teams, frequently taking a leading delivery and coordinating role.
- The role will be required to develop external relationships with key contacts prospective investors into the West Midlands region, relevant operational contacts employed by the Growth Company’s key public, private & university partners and other relevant role-holders at key organisations including Midlands Engine, DIT, the three West Midlands LEPs, Local Authorities and West Midlands Combined Authority.
Key skills and competency requirements
|Skills and attricbutes||
Knowledge and experience
This is a remote working opportunity until a date is agreed for the West Midlands Growth Company workforce to return to the usual place of work at Baskerville House, Birmingham.
Our priority is to keep all our employees safe and well during this time. We will be working remotely for the foreseeable future, and we are doing everything we can to ensure all our employees can enjoy a comfortable remote working space.
Please read the following areas of responsibility and key competancy requirements, and is you wish to apply for the Special Projects Manager position, please email email@example.com with your CV and a cover letter detailing why you think you would be right for the role.