We are looking to recuit a Senior Business Development Manager - Life Sciences who will take the lead on developing and delivering a focussed and internationally significant business development and marketing campaign to drive inward investment into the region.
The role sits within the Inward Investment team, which will promote the West Midlands as a location in which global organisations can invest, grow and thrive and will have responsibility for developing and delivering a pipeline of job-creating business investment into the region.
We are looking for someone who can:
- Identify and translate the strengths of, and opportunities within, the West Midlands, into a compelling value proposition to attract job creating investment within the Life Sciences and Medical Technologies sector, from key global and domestic investment markets.
- Develop and implement a focussed, internationally significant business development and marketing strategy to promote Life Sciences inward investment in the region, with the objective of securing successful new investment and expansion projects in line with the range of contracts West Midlands Growth Company is responsible for, with a significant focus on delivering the objectives of the Tourism, Trade and Investment programme.
- Take a lead role in account management of strategic businesses specific to the sector across the West Midlands Combined Authority geography in collaboration with local partners, with the aim of generating business growth and securing expansion projects.
- Provide consultative support and sector expertise to other teams within the West Midlands Growth Company when they are engaged on projects that contain a Life Sciences dimension
- Identify commercial and revenue generating opportunities for commercial partners of the West Midlands Growth Company, within the Life Sciences sector and engage them, where appropriate to support with the international dimensions of the Life Sciences sector business development strategy.
- Work closely with and influence key stakeholders within the region (including Local Authorities, Universities & Property Developers etc.) to enhance the attractiveness of the region’s offer to potential Life Sciences investors and to stimulate incremental investment by local firms within the sector
- Proactively support the GBS LEP work to develop a life sciences cluster for the West Midlands Combined Authority area, based on the market driven opportunity around data driven healthcare as outlined in the regional local industrial strategy.
- Work closely with the University of Birmingham and University of Warwick in relation to the Birmingham Health Innovation Campus and life sciences developments at the Wellesbourne Campus, to attract life sciences sector occupiers.
- Work closely with the senior management team at the West Midlands Growth Company to ensure consistent and effective achievement of contract objectives, providing flexible support to ensure the team targets are achieved.
- Forge and develop effective relationships across and between the public and private sectors within Greater Birmingham, the Black Country and Coventry and Warwickshire and build influence to become the natural ‘go to’/consultative Life Sciences lead for the WMCA regional LEPs, when they carry out strategic initiatives.
- Undertake planned marketing and lead generation activities both nationally and internationally (trade fairs, exhibitions etc) to showcase the regional West Midlands Combined Authority geography offer.
- Make efficient use of CRM systems and processes to record, monitor, review and refine business development strategies, together with marketing and communications programmes to fully exploit business opportunities both for the business and for the wider benefit of the region.
- Build influence across the sector for West Midlands Growth Company through its inward investment programmes within Midlands Engine, DIT and other relevant national and international organisations and intermediaries to ensure that WMCA geography is perceived as a priority region for them to direct inward investment opportunities to.
- Take line management responsibility for a small team of Business Developers to include; recruitment, communication and engagement, performance management, development and coaching activities.
- Mentor and support other team members to ensure the Life Sciences sector is understood and support is provided to develop specialist knowledge across other service delivery teams where appropriate.
- From a foreign investment perspective, proactively support the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (GBS LEP) work in the development of Health Technologies for the West Midlands Combined Authority area, based on the market driven opportunity around data driven health as outlined in the regional local industrial strategy
We really need you to have these:
Sills & knowledge
- Deep technical knowledge of the life-sciences sector, including an up to date knowledge of key trends and the commercial drivers of organisations within the sector.
- Awareness of the West Midlands life sciences cluster and key companies and assets within it.
- Excellent commercial awareness and able to build relationships with senior staff across the private and public sector.
- Excellent communication / relationship management skills
- Highly developed negotiating skills with the ability to influence investment decisions at the highest level.
- Excellent inter-personal and team working skills, and a proven ability to form partnerships, motivate, enthuse and drive individuals.
- Excellent communication and presentational skills, with the ability to communicate ideas, issues, systems and procedures successfully at all levels to a variety of audiences.
- Experience of working in a multi-stakeholder / delivery partner environment.
- Significant experience of developing and executing successful business development strategies.
- Proven line management capability.
- Demonstrable self-starter, capable of thriving in a fluid, results-driven environment.
We would love it if you could do this:
Skills & knowledge
- Evidence of proactive professional development or a qualification in a relevant scientific discipline.
- Formal sales or pipeline management skills training.
- An innate focus on developing others, using a coaching and mentoring approach
- Experience of place marketing or investment promotion.
- Previous evidence of working effectively in a role with national and international dimensions, including in primary target markets for the programme (India, Australia, Canada, Singapore and Malaysia).
- Knowledge of the structures and roles of relevant public bodies operating within the West Midlands region.
- Detailed knowledge of key companies, stakeholders and recent strategic developments in the West Midlands life-sciences cluster.
The role is currently funded to run from November 2020 to March 2023. This is also a remote working opportunity until a date is agreed for the workforce to return to their central Birmingham offices.
To apply for the Senior Business Development Manager - Life Sciences position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a cover letter detailing why you think you would be right for the role.