We are currently recruiting for a Senior Business Development Manager who will take the lead on developing and delivering a focused domestic and international business development strategy to drive inward investment into the region in the Business, Professional & Financial Services (BPFS) sector.
Work across the West Midlands region and nationally with occasional international travel to showcase the West Midlands offer in key overseas markets.
Work with the Head of Inward Investment and the Head of Strategic Business Development to plan and deliver a comprehensive plan of BPFS business development activity.
Generate and manage a pipeline of inward investment enquiries involving new and expansion projects with key measures around investment projects influenced/generated and secured, and associated new direct jobs created.
Key relationships to be with external inward investment clients, business intermediaries, local, national and international industry sector and government bodies, public and private sector partners and stakeholders across the West Midlands.
What will you do?
- Identify and translate the strengths of, and opportunities within, the West Midlands, into a compelling value proposition to attract job creating investment within the Business, Professional & Financial Services (BPFS) sector, from key global and domestic investment markets.
- Develop and implement a focused business development and marketing strategy to promote BPFS inward investment in the region, with the objective of securing successful new investment and the expansion of existing employers in line with the WMGC’s key service level agreements.
- Take a lead role in account management of strategic businesses specific to the sector across the WMCA geography in collaboration with local partners, with the aim of generating business growth and securing expansion projects.
- Provide consultative support and sector expertise to other teams within the WMGC when they are engaged on projects that contain a BPFS dimension.
- Identify commercial and revenue generating opportunities for commercial partners of the WMGC, within the BPFS sector and engage them, where appropriate to support with the international dimensions of BPFS sector business development strategy.
- Work closely with and influence key stakeholders located within and externally to the region (including Local Authorities, Universities, Property Developers, Industry Bodies and other stakeholder groups) to raise the profile of and enhance the perceived attractiveness of the region’s offer to potential BPFS investors and to stimulate incremental investment by local firms within the sector.
- Work closely with the senior management team at the West Midlands Growth Company to ensure consistent and effective achievement of contract objectives, providing flexible support to ensure the team targets are achieved.
- Forge and develop effective relationships across and between the public and private sectors within Greater Birmingham, the Black Country and Coventry and Warwickshire and build influence to become the natural ‘go to’/consultative BPFS investment lead for the WMCA, regional Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs), when they carry out strategic initiatives.
- Undertake planned marketing and lead generation activities both nationally and internationally (trade fairs, exhibitions etc) to showcase the regional WMCA geography offer.
We really need you to have these:
Skills & Knowledge
- Professional qualification, relevant degree, or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication / relationship management skills
- Excellent inter-personal and team working skills, and a proven ability to form partnerships, motivate, enthuse and drive individuals.
- Excellent communication and presentational skills, with the ability to communicate ideas, issues, systems and procedures successfully at all levels to a variety of audiences.
- Highly developed negotiating skills with the ability to influence investment decisions at the highest level.
- Demonstrable self-starter, capable of thriving in a fluid, results-driven environment.
- Proven line management capability.
- Deep understanding of the BPFS sector, including an up to date knowledge of key trends and the commercial drivers of organisations within the sector, in particular how these vary by sector and ownership structure.
- Experience of working in a multi-stakeholder / delivery partner environment.
- Excellent commercial awareness and able to build relationships with senior staff across the private and public sector.
- Significant experience of developing and executing successful business development strategies.
We would love it if you could do this:
Skills & knowledge
- Evidence of proactive professional development or a qualification in a relevant scientific discipline
- Formal sales or pipeline management skills training.
- An innate focus on developing others, using a coaching and mentoring approach
- Experience of place marketing or investment promotion.
- Significant experience of working within a major BPFS firm, or in an advisory capacity to firms in the sector.
- Previous evidence of working effectively in a role with national and international dimensions, including in primary target markets for our programmes.
- Knowledge of the structures and roles of relevant public bodies operating within the West Midlands
To apply for the Senior Business Development Manager - Business, Professional & Financial Services position, please email email@example.com with your CV and a cover letter detailing why you think you would be right for the role.