Birmingham 2022 is a golden opportunity not just for the West Midlands, but for the UK. With a third of the world’s population tuning in, this is a chance to show that post-EU Exit Britain is open for business, support economic recovery from COVID-19 and to provide a shop window for Britain’s economic engine.
London 2012 and previous Commonwealth Games demonstrate the potential to drive tourism, trade and investment alongside the sport and culture. Funding has been secured to deliver a major programme to attract visitors, investors and events to the West Midlands and the UK, and grow export opportunities. This will be delivered in partnership at regional and national level, with funding secured in the Spring 2020 Budget and match funding from the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA). The programme is currently being developed – so an exciting time to join and help shape what will be delivered.
The Inward Investment team will promote the West Midlands’ as a location in which global organisations can invest, grow and thrive and will have responsibility for developing and delivering a pipeline of job-creating business investment in to the region before, during and after the Games.
The programme will target a diverse range of geographical markets (including the UK, Australia, Canada, India, Singapore and Malaysia).
The Sector Lead will take the lead on developing and delivering a focused domestic and international business development strategy to drive inward investment into the region in the Creative, Digital & Tech sector.
This is a remote working opportunity until a date is agreed for the West Midlands Growth Company workforce to return to the usual place of work at Baskerville House, Birmingham.
Our priority is to keep all our employees safe and well during this time. We will be working remotely for the foreseeable future, and we are doing everything we can to ensure all our employees can enjoy a comfortable remote working space.
Main responsibilities and key activities
- Identify and translate the strengths of, and opportunities within, the West Midlands, into a compelling value proposition to attract job creating investment within the Creative, Digital & Tech sector, from key global and domestic investment markets.
- Lead, develop and implement a focused business development and marketing strategy to promote Creative, Digital & Tech inward investment in the region, with the objective of securing successful new investment and the expansion of existing employers in line with the WMGC’s key service level agreements.
- Generate and manage a pipeline of inward investment enquiries involving new and expansion projects with key measures around investment projects influenced/ generated and secured, and associated new direct jobs created.
- Take a lead role in account management of strategic businesses specific to the sector across the WMCA geography in collaboration with local partners, with the aim of generating business growth and securing expansion projects.
- Provide consultative support and sector expertise to other teams within the WMGC when they are engaged on projects that contain a Creative, Digital & Tech dimension.
- Identify commercial and revenue generating opportunities for commercial partners of the WMGC, within the Creative, Digital & Tech sector and engage them, where appropriate to support with the international dimensions of Creative, Digital & Tech sector business development strategy.
- Work closely with and influence key stakeholders located within and externally to the region (including Local Authorities, Universities, property developers, industry bodies and other stakeholder groups) to raise the profile of and enhance the perceived attractiveness of the region’s offer to potential Creative, Digital & Tech investors and to stimulate incremental investment by local firms within the sector.
- Work closely with the senior management team at the West Midlands Growth Company to ensure consistent and effective achievement of contract objectives, providing flexible support to ensure the team targets are achieved.
- Forge and develop effective relationships across and between the public and private sectors within Greater Birmingham, the Black Country and Coventry and Warwickshire and build influence to become the natural ‘go to’/consultative Creative, Digital & Tech investment lead for the WMCA, regional Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs), when they carry out strategic initiatives.
- Undertake planned marketing and lead generation activities both nationally and internationally (trade fairs, exhibitions etc) to showcase the regional WMCA geography offer.
- Make efficient use of CRM systems and processes to record, monitor, review and refine business development strategies, together with marketing and communications programmes to fully exploit business opportunities both for the business and for the wider benefit of the region.
- Build influence across the sector for WMGC through its inward investment programmes within Midlands Engine, DIT and other relevant national and international organisations and intermediaries to ensure that WMCA geography is perceived as a priority region for them to direct inward investment opportunities to.
- Take line management responsibility for a team of Business Developers to include; recruitment, communication and engagement, performance management, development and coaching activities.
- Mentor and support other team members to ensure the Creative, Digital & Tech sector is understood and support is provided to develop specialist knowledge across other service delivery teams where appropriate.
You can download the full job description, including key skills and competency requirements for the role, here.
If you wish to apply for the Sector Lead – Creative, Digital & Tech position, please email email@example.com with your CV and a cover letter detailing why you think you would be right for the role.