The Research Analyst’s primary function is to synthesize primary and secondary research in support of attracting investment and growing the economy of the West Midlands. The analyst will support the established Inward Investment team and the new Strategic Relationship Management team with developed research findings.
For the Inward Investment team, the analyst will utilise public and private databases to provide robust evidence to potential investors, presenting a compelling case for investment in the West Midlands.
For the Strategic Relationship Management Team, the analyst will synthesis secondary sources and primary, qualitative insights from companies in the region to create reports and dashboards informing regional leadership of trends, challenges, and opportunities or large and strategic businesses in the region. This is a new function and good opportunity to make an impact on business policy and development in the West Midlands.
Secondary requirements include lead generation and data provision to other workstreams and the Senior Management Team as well as external partners and shareholders. The analyst will help source and maintain core information product for internal use. The role will also include some work with and development of the internal customer relationship management software.
Successful performance in this role will help to ensure that WMGC’s Inward Investment team continue to deliver strong overarching Inward Investment outcomes at a regional level, help Local Authority partners to address the priorities that matter to them at a local level, and enable the regional government to make informed decisions to grow the business community.
The role will also provide the chance to take on increasing ownership for delivery of certain initiatives, as the role holder accrues specialist knowledge and experience, creating a pathway for future personal development and professional progression.
Main Responsibilities and Key Activities
Inward Investment Research
- Provide intelligence, data and support for the Inward Investment Team’s core business, providing data, analysis, marketing evidence and research services:
- Proactively approach sector leads about new investment leads to support their pitches.
- Demonstrate understanding of foreign direct investment and economic environments.
- Develop, maintain, and internally market sector-specific analysis and materials.
- Create slide decks with a compelling story for investment.
- Provide accurate, compelling and timely intelligence and data to help create value propositions and marketing collateral.
- Respond quickly to enquiries from potential investors providing relevant data and intelligence.
- Find create research solutions to unusual or tricky research inquiries.
- Support sector leads and marketing team with lead generation in key markets and sectors.
- Use secondary data sources (such as LinkedIn Talent Insights, ONS, Beauhurt, Prequin, FDI Markets, and Factiva) to develop compelling propositions.
- Provide intelligence to team to help develop compelling unique selling points, sales messages and pitchbooks.
Strategic Companies Research Synthesis
- Conduct analysis and synthesis of qualitative primary data with data from secondary sources.
- Maintain ownership of and develop out company database within WMGC CRM, focusing on 500 strategic companies within the West Midlands.
- Conduct coding of qualitative data derived from notes of meetings held with key regional organisations.
- Build and maintain insight collection form,
- Develop quantitative measures to report on in dashboard for use of regional public sector leadership.
- Write quarterly report on findings from strategic account meetings, conveying key and unique messages to regional stakeholders.
- Work with partners from Local Authorities and Combined Authority to collect the most relevant findings.
- Source and maintain core information product in order to provide accurate, authoritative and up-to-date information and intelligence to colleague and enquirers.
- Develop core datasets and toolkits on a regular basis in order to provide bespoke data and analysis as requested.
- Continual updating and refreshing of data supporting the data provision function, including the online intranet data compendium. Includes comparative data for core cities, LEPs and Combined Authorities NB A large library of data is sourced and maintained to support this service.
You can view the full job description including key skills and competency requirements, here
If you are interested in applying for the role, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org