The West Midlands Growth Company helps create new jobs, build and expand businesses, attract regional investment and encourage tourism.
On the back of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, the West Midlands has a unique opportunity to establish itself as truly globally competitive in the coming years, as part of a new ‘Global West Midlands’ programme.
As PR and Communications Manager, you will help deliver against WMGC’s core objective to ‘enhance the profile and reputation of the region’, with a focus on driving inbound tourism in order to strengthen the visitor economy.
You will be at the heart of WMGC’s fast-paced Media and Communications team, focusing on promoting the West Midlands regionally, nationally and internationally as a leading destination to live, visit and host events. A core aspect of the job will involve generating perception changing stories on the region’s leisure tourism offer, the region’s quality of life and the region’s event venues. You will also be responsible for briefing senior officials on the desired narrative surrounding the West Midlands’ thriving leisure/business tourism landscape and the associated issues and opportunities.
Main Responsibilities and Key Activities
- Develop and deliver a B2C communications strategy to raise awareness surrounding the West Midlands leisure/business tourism offer, supporting communications objectives, as well as the wider visitor economy team.
- Develop fresh and compelling B2C focused opinion-editorials, press releases, quotes, thought leadership and speeches, aligning to the West Midlands’ tourism offer, positioning the region as a must-visit destination.
- Develop a PR and Communications plan to promote the West Midlands’ MICE and Sporting Events offer, including key messaging development.
- Work closely with WMGC’s shareholders, commercial partners and wider stakeholders to identify and implement opportunities to promote the West Midlands’ region-wide leisure product.
- Lead on the management of the company’s B2C PR agency to deliver a comprehensive global programme of media relations, including budget and project management.
- Lead on the monitoring, reporting and evaluation surrounding leisure tourism communications, working closely with the Corporate Communications Executive to ensure WMGC’s Business Plan KPIs are met.
- Plan and draft qualitative case study reports to support stakeholder management / business KPIs.
- Oversee the PR Executive in delivering media visits through itinerary building in conjunction with commercial partners.
- Support the Corporate Communications Manager with visitor economy messaging, ensuring accurate corporate alignment that extends to the West Midlands Tourism and Hospitality Advisory Board.
- Lead crisis and reactive communications in response to negative news stories or reports relating to the region’s tourism focused economic strategy.
- Operate flexibly to support overarching communications objectives, including supporting across B2B activity if required.
- Flexibility to accommodate developing team structure with the possibility of line management.
You can view the full job description including key skills and competency requirements, here
If you are interested in applying for the role, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org