A passion for destination marketing and communications, underpinned by research and intelligence and focused on measurable outcomes.
The ‘Birmingham 2022’ Commonwealth Games was a golden opportunity not just for the West Midlands, but for the UK. With a third of the world’s population tuning in, we have been given the chance to show that post-EU Exit Britain is open for business, support economic recovery from COVID-19 and to provide a shop window for Britain’s economic engine.
Building upon the West Midlands Growth Company’s strong track record of delivery as the region’s investment promotion agency, additional funding has been secured to deliver a major programme to attract visitors, investors, businesses and events to the West Midlands and the UK and grow export opportunities. This will be delivered in partnership at regional and national level, with funding secured in the Spring 2020 Budget and match funding from the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA).
The Business Development Executive will play a crucial role in supporting the delivery of a successful regional conference proposition by generating and converting enquiries within the meetings, incentives, conference and exhibitions (MICE) industry. Sales activity will be aligned to key markets and sectors, with particular focus given to attracting sizeable national and international association conference business and travel multipliers.
The role will offer a once in a generation opportunity to be part of the team driving the MICE legacy of the Birmingham 2022 Games by focusing on:
• Generating and converting leads and confirmed conference and events business within the West Midlands Region.
• Supporting the delivery of the Birmingham and West Midlands Convention Bureau services, including accommodation booking and venue location.
This role is Maternity Leave Cover – Full Time – Monday – Friday 09.00 – 17.15 (36. ¼ hours) and runs from November 2022 – December 2023
Main responsibilities and key activities
- Drive Birmingham and the West Midland’s conference proposition to generate and convert leads from national and international conferences, meetings, incentives, events and exhibitions within the Business Events Industry.
- Work as part of an established team to position Birmingham and the West Midlands as a world class conference, event, exhibition, incentives and visitor economy destination and stimulate economic growth.
- Maximise Convention Bureau-related services and support the staff within the team to deliver;
- Accommodation Services - to include organiser account management, securing allocations of bedrooms, sourcing contracted bedrooms for organisers, staff and exhibitors, setting up dedicated event webpages for each event as well as processing individual and group bookings, amendments, cancellations and rooming list management
- Venue Location Services - responding to new enquiries, adding details to our booking system, Gratis as well as our CRM (Zoho), preparing proposals and following up accordingly ensuring that internal processes are followed at all times.
- Social Programme Planning
- Arranging Familiarisation Visits for event organisers, as and when required
- To support Agent Enquiries – assisting with venue suggestions/ putting through Gratis as a direct enquiry only
- Answering Phone Calls on the dedicated Convention Bureau phoneline during office hours
- To monitor Convention Bureau inboxes (Conference Sales, Events and Accommodation), ensuring timely response to all enquiries.
- Updating & Maintaining Convention Bureau systems to ensure accurate data/information is held at all times.
- Stakeholder Support - sustain and develop relationships with key clients and MICE sector partners of WMGC (including local conferencing venues and hoteliers). Working closely with partners at venues from across the West Midlands to develop conference, exhibition and event bids in line with the project strategy. Ensuring co-ordinated delivery of activity, and where appropriate, joined up systems across the West Midlands area.
- Assist with client delivery services – Supporting business and driving revenue streams, ensuring that both conversion rates and product awareness are maximised at all times.
- Sales Missions (as required) – attend and exhibit at key trade shows as part of the Convention Bureau team to raise the profile of the company and maintain the West Midland’s position as a leading business tourism destination, whilst also maintaining awareness of competitor developments.
You can view the full job description here.
If you are interested in applying for the Convention Bureau Business Development Executive role, please send your CV to email@example.com