Birmingham 2022 is a golden opportunity not just for the West Midlands, but for the UK. With a third
of the world’s population tuning in, this is a chance to show that post-EU Exit Britain is open for
business, support economic recovery from COVID-19 and to provide a shop window for Britain’s
London 2012 and previous Commonwealth Games demonstrate the potential to drive tourism, trade
and investment alongside the sport and culture. Funding has been secured to deliver a major
programme to attract visitors, investors and events to the West Midlands and the UK, and grow exportopportunities. This will be delivered in partnership at regional and national level, with funding secured in the Spring 2020 Budget and match funding from the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA). The programme is currently being developed – so an exciting time to join and help shape what will be delivered.
The Inward Investment team will promote the West Midlands’ as a location in which global
organisations can invest, grow and thrive and will have responsibility for developing and delivering a
pipeline of job-creating business investment in to the region before, during and after the Games.
The programme will target a diverse range of geographical markets (including the UK, Australia,
Canada, India, Singapore and Malaysia).
The Business Development Manager – Creative, Digital & Tech (CDT) will be responsible for securing inward investment and business expansion projects from the CDT sector, leading to sector growth and job creation across the West Midlands region.
Main responsibilities and key activities
- Identify and translate the strengths of, and opportunities within, the West Midlands into a compelling value proposition to attract job-creating investment within the Tech and Creative sector, from key global and domestic investment markets.
- Work closely with the Sector Lead – Creative, Digital & Tech and the Head of Inward Investment on inward investment projects to ensure efficient handling of projects across a range of sub-sectors and project sizes.
- Generate and manage own pipeline of projects to support businesses establish operations in the West Midlands, delivering job creation in the region.
- Undertake external business development activity to identify, support and secure inward investment and expansion projects to achieve an increase in job creation across a range of different contracts with a significant focus on delivering the objectives of the Commonwealth Games Tourism, Trade and Investment programme.
- Take a lead role in account management of strategic businesses specific to the sector across the WMCA geography in collaboration with local partners, with the aim of generating business growth and securing expansion projects.
- Work closely with the Department for International Trade (DIT) and their relevant sector teams on agreed account management plans for strategic foreign direct investors (FDI) in the geography aimed at generating/ supporting inward investment expansion projects.
- Provide consultative support and sector expertise to other teams within the WMGC when they are engaged on projects that contain a tech dimension.
- Identify commercial and revenue generating opportunities for commercial partners of the WMGC, within the tech sector and engage them, where appropriate to support with the international dimensions of tech sector business development strategy.
- Work closely with and influence key stakeholders located within and externally to the region (including Local Authorities, Universities, Property Developers, Industry Bodies and other stakeholder groups) to raise the profile of and enhance the perceived attractiveness of the region’s offer to potential tech investors and to stimulate incremental investment by local firms within the sector.
- Work closely with the senior management team at the West Midlands Growth Company to ensure consistent and effective achievement of contract objectives, providing flexible support to ensure the team targets are achieved.
- Undertake planned marketing and lead generation activities both nationally and internationally (trade fairs, exhibitions etc) to showcase the regional WMCA geography offer. Occasional international travel required.
- Make efficient use of CRM systems and processes to record, monitor and refine business development strategies, together with marketing and communications programmes to fully exploit business opportunities both for the business and for the wider benefit of the region.
- Build influence across the sector for WMGC through its inward investment programmes within Midlands Engine, DIT and other relevant national and international organisations and intermediaries to ensure that WMCA geography is perceived as a priority region for them to direct inward investment opportunities to.
- Work closely with the Senior Tech and Creative Lead on projects to deliver increase success percentage. Generate and manage own pipeline of projects associated with new jobs being created for the region.
- Network within key industry events to gain insight, perceptions and opportunities.
- Work closely with and influence the property community around appropriate space requirements to attract Tech and Creative sector occupiers and to stimulate investment within local firms within the region.
- Forge and develop effective relationships across and between the public and private sectors within Greater Birmingham, the Black Country and Coventry and Warwickshire to send out a coordinated message to potential investors in the region. This will include engaging with key industry associations and trade bodies relevant to the sector .
The role is currently funded to run from July 2021 to March 2023
You can download the full job description, including key skills and competency requirements for the role, here.
If you wish to apply for the Business Development Manager – Creative, Digital & Tech position, please email email@example.com with your CV and a cover letter detailing why you think you would be right for the role.