The Business Development Manager – Advanced Manufacturing will be responsible for securing inward investment and business expansion projects from the advanced manufacturing sector, leading to sector growth and job creation across the West Midlands region. The West Midlands Growth Company has committed to securing a significant and ambitious quantity of new investments into the region, including a dedicated programme of investment promotion to maximise the opportunity presented by the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham.
This role will be key to delivering on this commitment. The role is currently funded to run from now to March 2023.
Main responsibilities and key activities
- Identify and translate the strengths of, and opportunities within, the West Midlands into a compelling value proposition to attract job-creating investment within the advanced manufacturing sector, from key global and domestic investment markets.
- Work closely with the Senior Business Development Manager – Advanced Manufacturing and the Head of Inward Investment on projects to ensure efficient handling of projects across a range of sub-sectors and project sizes.
- Generate and manage own pipeline of projects to deliver job creation in the region.
- Undertake external business development activity to identify, support and secure inward investment and expansion projects to achieve an increase in job creation across a range of different contracts such as the West Midlands Combined Authority, DIT and the Commonwealth Games. This activity may be with individuals, partners (Local Enterprise Partnerships, Local Authorities, Commercial Partners) or appropriate consortia.
- Undertake planned marketing and lead generation activities (trade fairs, exhibitions etc) to showcase the strengths and opportunities within the WMCA geography, and in particular the strengths of our university and commercial partners.
- Monitor, review and refine business development strategies, together with marketing and communications programmes to fully exploit business opportunities both for the business and for the wider benefit of the region.
- Take a lead role in account management of strategic businesses specific to the sector across the WMCA geography in collaboration with local partners, with the aim of generating business growth and securing expansion projects
- Work closely with the Department for International Trade (DIT) and their relevant sector teams on agreed account management plans for strategic foreign direct investors (FDI) in the geography aimed at generating/ supporting inward investment expansion projects.
- Identify commercial and revenue-generating opportunities for commercial partners of the WMGC as they relate to the advanced manufacturing sector, and engage them, where appropriate, to support the development of an international advanced manufacturing business development strategy.
- Work closely with and influence the property community around appropriate space requirements to attract advanced manufacturing sector occupiers and to stimulate investment within local firms within the region.
- Work closely with the senior management team at the West Midlands Growth Company (WMGC) to ensure consistent and effective achievement of contract objectives, providing flexible support to ensure the team targets are achieved.
- Forge and develop effective relationships across and between the public and private sectors within Greater Birmingham, the Black Country and Coventry and Warwickshire to send out a coordinated message to potential investors in the region. This will include engaging with key industry associations and trade bodies relevant to the sector
- Build influence within Midlands Engine, DIT and other relevant organisations to ensure the WMCA geography is perceived as an obvious region for them to direct inward investment opportunities to, and is a key part of their plans and activity.
- Efficiently, thoroughly and consistently use current customer relationship management (CRM) systems to ensure regular and effective evaluation of activity, and transparency of lead generation across the region.
You can download the full job description, including key skills and competency requirements for the role, here.
If you wish to apply for the Business Development Manager – Advanced Manufacturing position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a cover letter detailing why you think you would be right for the role.