The ‘Birmingham 2022’ Commonwealth Games is a golden opportunity not just for the West Midlands, but for the UK. With a third of the world’s population tuning in, this is a chance to show that post-EU Exit Britain is open for business, support economic recovery from COVID-19 and to provide a shop window for Britain’s economic engine.
Building upon the West Midlands Growth Company’s strong track record of delivery as the region’s investment promotion agency, additional funding has been secured to deliver a major programme to attract visitors, investors and events to the West Midlands and the UK and grow export opportunities. This will be delivered in partnership at regional and national level, with funding secured in the Spring 2020 Budget and match funding from the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA).
The Business Development Executive will play a key role in facilitating the success of the West Midlands Growth Company’s sector-focused Inward Investment team and the Strategic Business Development team, as they work together to execute a major international business development strategy, to capitalise on the profile that the Commonwealth Games will generate, with the aim of driving inward investment to the West Midlands and enhancing the reputation of the region as a place for global businesses to create employment and base business operations.
The role will provide a broad foundation in Inward and Foreign Direct Investment and familiarisation with the workings of a major Investment Promotion Agency, with increasing exposure to client-facing responsibilities and potential opportunities for progression into a sector business development, account management or operational role for a high-performing candidate.
Main responsibilities and key activities
Business Development & Strategic Programme Support
- Support the Head of Strategic Business Development with programme management of the Inward Investment Workstream of the Commonwealth Games Business and Tourism Programme, and other strategic initiatives as required, ensuring that agreed activities are delivered on budget and within timescales and that programme outputs and reporting are delivered accurately and efficiently throughout the duration of the programme.
- Support the Head of Inward Investment with programme management of the West Midlands Combined Authority funded inward investment programme.
- Support the Inward Investment team with planning and execution of key business development initiatives, including sales missions, hosted investor visits, and the progression of dynamic investment projects.
- Take the lead on the execution of all required procurement to deliver the wider team’s business development activities, whilst remaining mindful of our obligations as a primarily public-funded organisation.
- As knowledge and experience grows, play a client-facing role in inward investment projects, eventually taking ownership for management of a number of SME inward investment projects.
- Become a ‘super-user’ of the Growth Company’s CRM systems and play a key role in the production of business development management information.
- Work within and provide flexible, efficient and accurate operational support to the Inward Investment and Strategic Business Development teams, as they deliver the Growth Company’s inward investment strategy and drive inward investment to the West Midlands.
- Manage the delivery of the teams’ key processes, including property searches, pipeline tracking and associated reporting. Contribute toward regular team meetings and propose new ideas and processes to improve efficiency of the team’s delivery.
- Where required, act as a conduit between key sub-teams in Inward Investment and Strategic Business Development, by proactively sharing information and cascading agreed actions from inter and intra team meetings.
- Take ownership for maintaining, monitoring and accurately completing relevant project and programme documentation for all key strategic programmes that the Inward Investment and Strategic Business Development teams are actively involved in delivering.
- Become an expert in the Growth Company’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems and support the Inward Investment and Strategic Business Development teams with accurately recording and reporting on the work that they do.
Representing the organisation
- Provide a professional, knowledgeable and friendly first point of contact for all inbound enquiries into the Inward Investment team, received via both the ‘Investline’ and the ‘Invest Inbox’. Qualify the relevance of these inbound enquiries and accurately enlist the support of colleagues to ensure well-qualified investor prospects receive the support that they require.
- Play a supporting role with key partner organisations, including but not limited to, international lead generation agencies and the Department for International Trade (DIT), to ensure a constant flow of communications, support and collateral, identifying their requirements, and supporting their activities and planning.
- Represent the organisation professionally at events and actively work to raise the profile of the West Midlands Growth Company and the region at all times.
- Collaborate with colleagues from the wider Inward Investment team, and the wider Growth Company team in a positive and constructive manner, to ensure delivery of the organisation’s strategy, broader initiatives, and best practices.
- Work across the West Midlands region, with potential to travel nationally as required, to support the Strategic Business Development and Inward Investment activities of the West Midlands Growth Company.
- Work with the heads of Inward Investment and Strategic Business Development and their respective delivery teams to support successful attainment of the organisation’s objectives.
- The role will be required to develop external relationships with prospective investors into the West Midlands region, relevant operational contacts employed by the Growth Company’s key public, private & university partners and other relevant role-holders at key organisations including Midlands Engine, DIT, the three West Midlands LEPs, Local Authorities and West Midlands Combined Authority.
Key skills and competency requirements
|Skills and attricbutes||
|Knowledge and experience||
This is a remote working opportunity until a date is agreed for the West Midlands Growth Company workforce to return to the usual place of work at Baskerville House, Birmingham.
Our priority is to keep all our employees safe and well during this time. We will be working remotely for the foreseeable future, and we are doing everything we can to ensure all our employees can enjoy a comfortable remote working space.
To apply for the Business Development Executive position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a cover letter detailing why you think you would be right for the role.